An Amarillo photographer's personal journey through the Dust Bowl- with past and present eyes.

Thursday, March 1, 2012

Flying on a dusty day ....

Click to enlarge.



Normally during our dusters - not much flies if it doesn't have to. I found this Red Tailed Hawk hunkered down on a telephone pole riding out the storm I could see through my telephoto lens his eyes were closed to keep out the grit - and as a result I was able to get very close.

Normally hawks fly away at the approach of my car- but not that day. The wind was so loud I'm sure he had trouble hearing me - or he just didn't care.

I set my camera at the sweet spot - carefully framing where I thought he would fly- and exposed for a silhouette - back-lit by the weak sun trying to pierce through the dust storm.

With one hand on the camera shutter and one on my car horn I triggered them both holding them down.

He bolted as I shot five quick frames.

This was the best.

Photo by (C) Steve Douglass
Requires permission for reproduction.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...